Modular components and buildings

2022-06-15 14:35:19 By : Ms. Ablaham Wu

For information about our services and facilities restrictions during the protection framework settings, see the COVID-19 section

For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit

Ngā whare me ngā wāhanga tārai rite

Modular components are building elements that are prefabricated off-site and then shipped to the site where the building will be located. The components could arrive fully assembled, partially assembled or flatpacked (panelised).

A building could be constructed of more than one type of modular component.

We do not consider modular components to be an entire and substantially complete building transported whole, such as a three-bedroom home or an entire classroom. For building consent and documentation purposes, we refer to these as relocatable buildings.

However, a building made with modular components in Auckland can have a customised inspection process similar to a relocatable building. This may involve separate inspections for the factory where the components are created and the site where the building is constructed.

For more information on relocatable buildings, see Relocate a building.

When fully assembled on-site, modular components become part of what amounts to a substantially complete building.

Fittings or non-structural features are generally not considered to be modular components.

When applying for a building consent with us, you will be asked whether your building work contains modular components.

Knowing if a modular component construction project will need a building consent can be difficult to judge. If you are unsure, read our "Manufactured modular component guidance" document or contact us for help.

AC1829 Manufactured modular component guidance

Information on the materials and components you are using, plus construction system details, must be provided to us before we can grant a building consent. 

Yo ur first step when looking to  apply for a building consent for a development involving the use of prefabricated modular components, is to  organise a pre-application meeting.

At the pre-application meeting you will gain an understanding of what documents you will need to provide, how to develop a Product Technical Statement, as well as information on working through the inspection programme and stages.

A Product Technical Statement (PTS) is an essential part of any building consent application for projects that use internationally sourced modular components. A PTS helps us assess if your components meet NZ Building Code compliance.

The PTS process will cover three key stages of the development:

If approved, your PTS will be included in the Quality Assurance Framework (QAF) register held at Auckland Council and you will be issued a registration number to use on future projects with that manufacturer.

Due to the various methods of construction carried out in factories, standard assessment and inspection regimes may not be practical. We may choose to use alternative methods for ensuring compliance, such as quality assurance plans and auditing.

The inspection regime and stages will be determined during pre-application meetings.

If the manufacturing occurs within Auckland and is defined as building work, it is classed as a conventional building consent with a conventional inspection regime and does not fit within the scope of our modular guidance policy documents.

Companies producing components for modular buildings that are not pre-certified via the Codemark product certification scheme (or by another NZ Building Consent Authority), will need to work with us so we can ensure their products meet the NZ Building Code.

This is done through a combination of:

For more information, see the “Manufactured modular component guidance” document.

AC1829 Manufactured modular component guidance

Inspections of building or renovation work of building or renovation workFind out what type of inspections you might need, how to book and cancel inspections and what happens during an inspection.aspxInspectionsRelocate a building a buildingFind out what consents need to relocate a building and what you need before you apply. aspxBuilding consents Resource consentsTemporary structures structuresFind out about temporary structures, if they need a building or resource consent, and how to get one.aspxBuilding and consentsPre-application guidance guidanceFind out what our pre-application guidance includes, how to request it, and what happens after you do.aspxBuilding and consentsApply for a building consent for a building consentFind out how to apply for a building consent and view the relevant fees. aspxBuilding consentsNational Multiple-Use Approvals Multiple-Use ApprovalsA National Multiple-Use Approval (NMU) is a statement that a set of plans and specifications for a building complies with the Building Code. They are also known as a Multi-Proof.aspxBuilding and consents

Is the information on this page helpful?

To ask for help or report a problem with our services or facilities, contact us.

Thanks for your feedback

Get in touch with us.